There are growing calls for the competition to be postponed after Chisnall became the third player to have to pull out after a positive Covid test

Video Loading

Video Unavailable

Fallon Sherrock setting sights on Gerwyn Price at World Championship

Dave Chisnall has become the latest unlucky contender to have his Darts World Championship dream ended by a positive Covid test.

He had been due to take on Luke Humphries for a place in the last 16 of the competition, but before the match he learned he had caught the virus.

He follows three-time champion Michael van Gerwen in exiting the tournament through no fault of their own, leading to yet more criticism being directed at organisers.

Van Gerwen Tweeted that he was “disappointed, confused and angry” over how his tournament had ended, and said he had done “everything in my possibility to avoid it”.

The Dutchman went on to say he felt organisers should have done more to protect players.







Dave Chisnall’s Darts World Championship dream is over after testing positive for Covid
(

Image:

Getty Images)

“They actually have to check everyone at the door every day, they didn’t do that,” he said.

“According to the British Government, this is not necessary, but to protect your own organisation and the World Championship, that would have been useful.

“The PDC will at all times say that they have followed the rules of the Government, but they could have been looked at more closely.

“The control has not been strong enough. It is just a big corona bomb now.

“It is as leaky as a basket, now I pay a high price. I haven’t done anything at all, that makes it extra sour.”

The PDC announced Chisnall had become the latest player to have to pull out of the tournament as a result of a positive Covid test.

“Dave Chisnall has withdrawn from the William Hill World Darts Championship after testing positive for Covid-19 ahead of his match with Luke Humphries,” the body said in Wednesday’s statement.

“Humphries will receive a bye to the last 16 and Wednesday afternoon’s session will continue with two matches.

“Jose de Sousa will play Alan Soutar, and Nathan Aspinall then plays Callan Rydz.”

The number of withdrawals and subsequent byes being handed out to players has led to some fans labelling the tournament a “farce”.







Gerwyn Price has called for the competition to be postponed
(

Image:

Getty Images)

World number one Gerwyn Price has said as much, and has called for organisers to postpone the competition as it has already been “devalued” by withdrawals.

“Now this tournament is devalued. I’d rather play the best to be the best, absolutely feel sick for these players having to pull out over Covid,” he wrote on his Instagram story on Tuesday.

He then went on to write a second message for his followers, in which he simply said: “Tournament needs to be postponed.”

As it stands, the Darts World Championship is set to continue at Alexandra Palace with the final due to be played on Monday night.

Read More

Read More

By admin

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *