It may be a couple of more days until the January transfer window officially opens, but Manchester City completed their first bit of business on Tuesday.
Barcelona confirmed the signing of Ferran Torres from the Premier League champions, bringing an end to an 18-month stint in Manchester for the Spain international.
While City manager Pep Guardiola has said the club will not sign another forward in January, it will be intriguing to see how he goes about restructuring the forward line at the Etihad Stadium.
With Torres moving to Barcelona for a reported £55 million, they certainly have the cash to land a high-class replacement.
Mirror Sport has all of your latest City transfer news.
Were City right to cash in on Torres? Let us know in the comments below!
Vincent Mignott/DeFodi Images via Getty Images)
Torres message sent
City’s director of football Txiki Begiristain has said the club wishes Torres well in the next chapter of his career.
The forward looked like he was going to be a key play at the Etihad for years to come after joining from Valencia and before injury struck earlier in the season, he was a regular in the team. However, City have decided to cash in on the 21-year-old for a substantial profit.
And based on Begiristain’s statement, there are no hard feelings between City and the player, per BBC Sport.
“Ferran should be proud of what he has achieved here at Manchester City,” he said. “Last season was his first time in a new country, but he adapted well.
“He always gave 100%, worked hard for the team and scored goals which helped us win trophies. We wish him all the best at Barcelona and for the rest of his career.”
Bernardo on future
Speaking to O Jogo (h/t Sport Witness), Manchester City midfielder Bernardo Silva has said he’s happy in the Premier League as he’s playing against the best players on the planet.
In the summer there was a lot of speculation surrounding an exit for the Portugal international, although he ended up staying at City and this season he’s been one of the best players in the Premier League.
In the interview, Silva was asked about the prospect of playing elsewhere but said at the moment he’s enjoying the consistent challenge being posed by English football.
“I think that at the moment the English teams are the strongest in the world and therefore it is always good to be where the best football is played,” he said.
“Then there are personal decisions that also count, such as being closer to the family, etc. But I confess that one of my dreams was to be part of the best championship in the world.”
According to Italian football journalist Gianluca Di Marzio, Manchester City are one of clubs Fiorentina forward Dusan Vlahovic considers himself to be a good fit for.
The striker’s stellar development in the last 12 months have prompted links to a number of elite outfits, including City, Manchester United, Tottenham Hotspur and Arsenal.
However, according to Di Marzio (h/t TalkSport), the Gunners are not a team that interest Vlahovic.
“It depends on which project, how much money he is being given,” he said. “Arsenal, for example, his agents do not want to speak to them. They think Arsenal is not enough for him and his career
“They think that Tottenham or Man City or Man United are more fit for him.”